Aldactone 25mg 100 Tablets
IMPORTANT NOTE – A VALID AUSTRALIAN PRESCRIPTION IS REQUIRED BEFORE THIS ITEM CAN BE SHIPPED
Drug Name: spironolactone
Note: Private, PBS and our prices are available to the general public. Concession and Safety Net prices are only available to people with the appropriate concession or Safety Net cards. See Prescriptions for more details.
• essential hypertension (high blood pressure with an unknown cause)
• some oedematous disorders (swelling with fluid) including congestive cardiac failure
• diagnosis and treatment of primary aldosteronism (a hormone disorder causing fluid retention)
• as add-on therapy in malignant hypertension (a very serious form of high blood pressure)
• where there is a low amount of potassium (a mineral) in the blood caused by another diuretic (fluid-removing medicine)
• prevention of low amounts of potassium (a mineral) in the blood in patients taking digitalis (a type of heart drug)
ALDACTONE (spironolactone) acts by working against a hormone called aldosterone. Too much aldosterone causes increased amounts of sodium (a mineral) and water to be retained by the kidneys, while too much potassium is removed from the body. ALDACTONE works against the effects of aldosterone.
ALDACTONE acts by removing excess fluid and by lowering blood pressure. It may be given alone or with other diuretics (fluid-removing medicines). It improves the effectiveness of other medicines used to lower blood pressure.
• ALDACTONE improves the blood pressure lowering action of thiazide diuretics (a type of fluid-removing medicine) while at the same time reducing or preventing potassium loss due to these medicines.
• ALDACTONE may be used to establish the diagnosis of primary hyperaldosteronism.
• hirsutism (excess body hair in women).
ALDACTONE also has a moderate ability to act against male sex hormones (anti-androgenic effect). Because of this, ALDACTONE is effective in the treatment of female hirsutism (excess body hair). It reduces hair growth, thickness and hair colour. Increased urine flow is unlikely to be a problem when ALDACTONE is used to treat hirsutism. This is because aldosterone levels are not normally high in patients with hirsutism.
Your doctor, however, may prescribe ALDACTONE for another purpose.
Ask your doctor if you have any questions about why ALDACTONE has been prescribed for you.
There is no evidence that ALDACTONE is addictive
There is generic brand to choose from in the table below. Generic Brands are less expensive brands that have been proven to have the same effect. Please select the desired brand.*
*Some Doctor's will have "no substitution permitted" endorsed on the script. Please check your prescription as generics are not available in this case.
Spiractin 25mg Tablets 100
Customers Who Bought This Product Also Bought...